11 July 2009

French Toast

This is really simple. Stale bread works well because it soaks up the egg custard best. You may use any kind of bread. Sourdough is my favorite, but cinnamon raisin is great, too.

While your skillet or griddle is preheating on medium heat, whisk well by hand or combine in a food processor:

  • 1 c. milk
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 2 tbsp. sugar or maple syrup
  • 1/4 tsp. cinnamon

Dip 1 slice of bread at a time into your custard, coating both sides (I usually pour the custard into a shallow dish, like a pie plate, for instance). Spray nonstick oil or melt butter in your skillet.
Lay your slices into the skillet and cook until golden brown, 1-2 minutes on each side. Serve with maple syrup and pats of butter.

The amount this recipe makes depends on how thick your slices are and how much custard you let your bread soak up. My mother fears the risk of soggy French Toast, so I've always been very quick about dipping my slices; so for my family, this recipe could make up to 12 slices.

No comments:

Post a Comment