28 January 2013

Creamy Potato Soup

Last week, I shared how I make my vegetable stock. Potato soup is a great way to use up your homemade stock. By adding a few vegetables, you can create a pretty substantial soup for just a few dollars. I used a bag of fingerling potatoes that were on sale for $1, and I kept the skins on. You can use any type of potato, but I would probably remove the skins  if I used a typical baking potato. Thin skin is okay in this case!

 There is something so comforting about potato soup in the winter.
I added bacon to mine, but you can easily leave it out. If you need an extra oomph in flavor, top with green onions instead!

Creamy Potato Soup
6-8 servings

Ingredients
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 2 carrots, diced
  • 2 celery stalks, diced
  • 1.5 lb potatoes, diced
  • 1 quart stock
  • 1/2 c. half-and-half
  • salt and pepper
  • 2 slices bacon (optional)
  • shredded cheese (optional)
In a large pot, cook bacon until crisp. Remove bacon and set aside. Cook onion, carrot, and celery until soft in bacon drippings (if vegetarian, you can use olive oil or butter), seasoning liberally with salt and pepper. Add potatoes and stock. Bring to a boil and reduce to simmer. Cook for 20-30 minutes until potatoes are tender. Remove from heat and puree using an immersion blender (Or use a food processor). Return to low heat. Add half-and-half. Taste, and adjust seasonings as needed. Ladle into bowls and garnish with crumbled bacon and shredded cheese. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment