21 January 2013

Best Vegetable Stock

 As a graduate student, I try to get the most out of my groceries. Sometimes, it feels like I'm making something out of nothing. Today, I want to tell you how I make the most flavorful vegetable stock possible. I use this stock in my soups, but you could also cook rice or any other grain in stock for added flavor. 
For a couple years now, I've saved my raw vegetable scraps for making stock by sticking them in a large freezer bag. You can add pretty much anything, although I'd stay away from spicy peppers. I usually end up with tons of celery tops, onion peels, and stems from chard and kale. When the bag is full, I know it's time to make stock. My roommates probably think I'm totally weird. But hey, this makes some great soup for pennies!

I learned from Mark Bittman that you should roast your vegetables for a richer, darker stock. And, as usual, he is spot on.

Vegetable Stock
(Adapted from Bittman's How to Cook Everything)

Ingredients:
  • 1 large freezer bag full of assorted raw vegetable scraps (approx. 1 lb)
  • 8 c. water
  • 2 T. olive oil
  • salt and pepper
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spread your frozen vegetables on a large baking sheet (there's no need to thaw). Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast for 30-45 minutes, until vegetables are brown but not burnt, turning once or twice throughout cooking time. Remove from oven, and use tongs to transfer your roasted veggie goodness to a large pot. Cover with water. Bring to a boil, and reduce to simmer. Cover and cook for about 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Strain, and use within a couple days or freeze for later.  This makes about 2 quarts of stock.

No comments:

Post a Comment