13 January 2013

Creamy Pumpkin Soup

I'm one of those people who gets overly excited about kitchen appliances. For some time now, I've been eying those immersion blenders. And this year, I finally broke down and bought one. I couldn't be happier with my purchase. I adore soup, and immersion blenders make it so easy to whip up all kinds-- from black bean to potato to broccoli cheese. Last night, I decided to try making my first ever pumpkin soup.


I've always been a huge fan of sweet pumpkin dishes, and I can easily put down an entire pumpkin pie by myself. So, I was a little skeptical of trying this soup recipe.

I apparently had nothing to worry about. Turns out, the pumpkin flavor is super comforting in savory form. Make this now! Seriously!

If you can't find a fresh sugar pumpkin, try substituting a can of pumpkin puree. Or, you could use any variety of winter squash in place of the pumpkin. This recipe can be made vegetarian or vegan with some easy changes.

Creamy Pumpkin Soup
(Adapted from Bittman's How to Cook Everything)

Ingredients:
  • 2 T. Butter (or olive oil)
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 2-3 carrots, chopped
  • 1 lb. pumpkin, peeled and cubed
  • 4 c. chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
  • 1 c. half-and-half (or coconut milk)
  • pinch chili powder
  • salt and pepper 
In a big pot, cook onions until soft in butter over medium heat, seasoning liberally with salt and pepper.  Add carrots and pumpkin, then pour in the chicken broth. Bring to a boil, and reduce to simmer for about 30 minutes, or under pumpkin is very tender. Remove from heat, and carefully puree with an immersion blender (or transfer mixture to a large food processor). Return to a low heat, and add half-and-half. Adjust thickness with additional chicken broth or water if you like. Add chili powder, and taste to adjust other seasonings as needed. Serve hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment